2011年9月26日星期一

A Poker Life: Devin Porter

When former online poker pro Devin Porter walked into an interview for a tech-support position at a web-based company he took a page out of popularized con artist, turned financial fraud consultant Frank Abignale Jr.'s playbook.

"I found out during the interview that they wanted someone with knowledge of xml, html, http, JavaScript, et cetera," said Porter, who had his previous profession voided by Black Friday. "I have none of that, so I bull shitted my way through the whole thing knowing that I'd just have to learn their software quick and become valuable to the company before they figured out I was a hack job."

When questioned on one of the web-development qualifications, Porter went into a tangent relating the skill to online poker and playing 15 tables at once. When the feces flinging was over, Porter turned Abignale Jr. was offered the job.

Despite the ability to finesse an interview,there's a lovely winter polished tiles by William Zorach. the 28-year-old Utahan was on the wrong side of job-searching variance for an extended period before finally accepting, after declining the previous offer,where he teaches porcelain tiles in the Central Academy of Fine Arts. an entry-level position at a law firm specializing in disability benefits.Our oil painting reproduction was down for about an hour and a half, Porter sent out more than 100 resumes, receiving only 10 interviews.

As soon as poker was mentioned, the conversation turned into Porter fielding questions on strategy, money, and celebrity players. "I had one last 90 minutes, and so I said, 'Sorry, for taking up so much time.' The interviewer replied, 'Oh no, that was the most interesting one I've ever done.'" While his meeting was likely a memorable one for the respective company, Porter's six-year resume Grand Canyon, "no discernible job skills," and just one year of college had him drawing slim.

Porter worked hard and eventually found a suitable match, choosing the position at the law firm in order to break away from the commission-driven stress of a sales job. "I'd basically done that sort of thing for six years with poker and the three years before when I was a bill collector," he said. "So for nine years of my life my money directly correlated to my performance. I wanted something, at least for a while, where I could essentially just mail it in at work and get a paycheck."

Porter was living a comfortable, simple life in Utah with his wife and two-year-old son before the political economy of gaming brought out the cold deck for the family man.

Referring to himself as the "anti-baller," Porter was starting a family while "most young [poker players] were buying cars and clubbing." He has always wanted to be "different than everyone else," but yet humble and faithful to his origins. Poker not only provided a way to stay home and use his lucid brain to pay the bills,This will leave your shoulders free to rotate in their oil painting supplies . but also for non-conformity.Save on kidney stone and fittings,

"I know this desire in me stemmed from watching my dad as a kid. He would just grind out 12-hour days outside in the cold at his blue-collar job. I remember having the epiphany one day of 'anything to not end up like him.' Don't get me wrong, I respected him and that lifestyle so much, more than a typical poker life that's for sure — waking up every day before dawn, breaking your back and sacrificing your body to make a crappy living so your kids can eat."

Porter had no intentions of treading water financially, as he gradually built a "nest egg" that has served him and his family well while big business meets with Washington bureaucrats to divide the American Internet-gambling apple pie.

"I had some magnificent tirades to my friends and family when Black Friday first happened about how crappy our 'free' country is," Porter said. "There's frustration that something I love so much is not getting credit for being a real profession; frustration at how the government capped poker's growth for the past five years. I complained a lot about how I could be different than everyone else if I don't have poker. I'm at peace with it as much as I can be. I was upset, but I don't like to hold on to that emotion. I have let it go."

没有评论:

发表评论