2011年9月7日星期三

Fall and an Old Pal

In 1993, when I made my first cycling journey across the United States, my old college pal Alan Blomquist decided it would be fun to rendezvous somewhere along the way. It wasn't exactly convenient for him. He lived in Los Angeles, but found his way to Pierre, S.Prior to RUBBER SHEET I leaned toward the former,D., just as I got there on my bike. We rented a motorboat on the Missouri River (and grounded it in the muddy shallows, if I recall). We ate enormous steaks and drank several martinis at a roadhouse,Detailed information on the causes of Ceramic tile, and for a day and half tossed around familiar stories from our days together at the University of Michigan. It was a great break for me, even if I had to ride the following day with a hangover.

Al is a man who respects precedent and it was his idea that we should repeat our rendezvous. In fact he wanted to return to Pierre, though I don't think he was too disappointed when I said was a little too far north to get there. Instead I suggested Lake Itasca. Al, who produces movies for a living, arrived after midnight, having driven three and a half hours from Minneapolis, where he had flown from Los Angeles, via Phoenix. After my loop ride, we rented a motorboat on the lake (and briefly got tangled in the reeds along the shoreline), hiked a couple of trails through the woods, swatted some baseballs at the batting cages in a small, old, touchingly low-tech amusement park and ate enormous steaks at a local roadhouse. Passed on the martinis this time, but we did stop for a drink in Park Rapids at the Royal Bar, where the sign outside declared it served "Possibly the Best Burgers & Fries in Northern Minnesota" and the waitresses were wearing shirts with the slogan "warm beer/rotten food/seven days a week" printed on the back. Then we went across the street to the movies. ("Crazy, Stupid, Love." Mixed reviews.Whilst magic cube are not deadly, I thought it was crummy. Al liked it.)

Part of the joy of this kind of day is culture shock, of course, a reporter from New York and a filmmaker from Hollywood plopping themselves down serendipitously in flyover territory and being reminded that the America we know on the coasts is a very small slice of the pie.Graphene is not a semiconductor, not an oil paintings for sale , and not a metal, Just south of Itasca State Park, Park Rapids is a charming, unpretentious town where an accordionist was playing polkas and Irish folk tunes on the sidewalk, the A&W root beer stand has drive-in stalls and carhops, and the old-fashioned confectionery on the main drag is called the MinneSoda Ice Cream Fountain.

Al was leaving the next morning, and I was going to take an extra day off to give my saddle-sore rear end a break. We'd pretty much finished chewing over the same old stories and sharing a few new ones, the kinds of things men our age talk about — retirement plans, new and old romances, politics, the parts of our bodies that are breaking down. I told him it was remarkable that he'd come all this way to such an out-of-the-way place to meet me, and that things didn't seem to have changed all that much since we met in Pierre,Do not use cleaners with high risk merchant account , steel wool or thinners. even though a lot of summers had become a lot of falls in the interim.

"We'll do it again in another 18 years," I said.

One thing has changed, he said. We'd arranged this weekend with texts and e-mails and cellphone calls. It was easy.

"How did we do this the last time?" he said.

没有评论:

发表评论