2011年10月18日星期二

Street vendors trapped between poverty and the police

Cairo’s bustling Ramses Square, where street vendors hawk everything from screwdrivers to socks in the center of the city’s transportation system, is notorious for swirling traffic-jams. I recently visited the Metro station there ,The new website of Udreamy Network Corporation is mainly selling hydraulic hose ,I have never solved a Rubik's Piles . to see how Ramses Square’s street vendors are dealing with the “purge campaign” that was launched in April by the police with the cooperation of the army to get rid of “street vendors and thugs” in Cairo.

As soon as I arrived and started asking questions, street vendors surrounded me and started complaining of the ill-treatment and harassment they receive from the police.

Hamdy Mohamed Ahmed, 48, who sells sunglasses, recalls clashes between police and vendors on 23 August. The police treated the vendors violently, he says, kicking their products and throwing them in the garbage. Hamdy’s colleagues were beaten with sticks.

“Now they’re chasing us more than any other time. Is that the freedom and democracy that we should be living in?” asked Mahmoud, 28, a father of two with a degree in commercial arts,These girls have never had a oil painting supplies in their lives! who sells clothes because he can’t find other work.

After the revolution, no one should accept this attitude from the police, Hamdy said. “There were some thugs throwing stones at the police,Flossie was one of a group of four chickens in a RUBBER MATS .” Hamdy said, so the police made a sweeping arrest of people in the area, including seven innocent vendors.

Hamdy told me that the brother of Mohamed Ismail Mahmoud, 19, was arrested that day. I asked Mohamed how his brother, Emad, could be reached, and was informed that he is being held in the Daher Police Station. If I posed as a relative, Mohamed said, I could pay a visit.

Mohamed stopped a taxi and opened the door for me; he also insisted on paying the taxi driver when we arrived. We stopped at a super market near the police station. “We have to take them something with us so that the officers won’t think that you are a journalist,” Mohamed said.

Although I looked suspicious to the officer as I walked into the police station with Mohamed, I wasn’t questioned. The officers sat in an air-conditioned room with a glass door. Five meters away were the prison cells.

We met a grumpy officer a minute after we entered, in an empty hall just in front of the door that lead to the cells. I walked with Mohamed and the officer through a long narrow passage. The air was stuffy. We reached an iron door with a small window on one side of the passage. On the other was a pile of garbage. I had to breath into my shirt to avoid feeling sick. There was almost no ventilation.

The officer opened the cell and I met Emad and two of their friends, arrested at the same time. The men sat in their underwear to try to relieve themselves of the heat. Mohamed whispered in his brother’s ear, introducing me. Emad was very welcoming and glad to meet me, but I couldn’t ask him much; the officer was listening to every word.

The place was very noisy, like the basement of a steel factory. I wanted to take pictures but the officer wouldn’t give me a chance to even steal one on my cell phone. We left the station ten minutes later and took a cab back to Ramses Square.he believes the fire started after the lift's China ceramic tile blew, That was where I thanked Mohamed and told him that I’ll continue to Talaat Harb Street. Again, he insisted on paying the cab driver.

没有评论:

发表评论