2011年7月4日星期一

Personal Sustainability

I made an important discovery recently: My personal life is not sustainable.

This truth hit me sometime over the past few months, but really sunk in last week ¨C my one free week of the year: Cub Scout Day Camp week.

It started Monday morning. We woke early, ate breakfast, got dressed, packed lunches, filled three reusable bottles with cold water and applied sunscreen. I walked my husband and boys to the car, kissed them goodbye and waved as they drove away.

Then I went back to the apartment, closed the door and began the first of five long days all to myself.

Ahhhhh.

Please don't get me wrong: I love my family very much.

But this particular week comes on the heels of an insane eight-week stretch I've come to think of as End-of-the-School-Year-Hell. If you are a parent, you know what I'm talking about: science projects, class reports, exams, field trips, open house, graduation, end-of-school parties, Little League games, etc.

Now throw in a move, after nine years of living in the same house. We had to be out by the end of April because our landlord decided to sell. Never mind that we were coming into that hellacious end-of-year stretch.

(One of the top 10 most stressful life events, anyone?)

My yearlong volunteer responsibilities at the school include art docent for both boys' classrooms, library reader and aide for both classrooms, Focus Program board member and volunteer coordinator and Focus newsletter editor.

Then there are my three part-time jobs. And I'm a board member for Sustainable San Ramon.

I'll spare you the rest.

Oh, thank heaven for Meridian District Cub Scout Day Camp ¡ª my week off!

Well, mostly.The same Air purifier, cover removed.

I did rise early and help get my guys out the door. When they returned home each evening, happy and tired and full of stories of their camp adventures, I washed their dirty clothes, hung their swim trunks and towels to dry, cleaned their reusable water containers and prepped their backpacks for the next day.

I saw them off again, and Amy Time began. From about 8 a.m.the Injection mold fast! until 5 p.m., I had the place to myself.

Then I felt guilty.The Leading zentai suits Distributor to Independent Pet Retailers.

An acquaintance ¨C let's call her Jane ¨C who volunteers at the camp every year, said to me just the other day: "You really should volunteer, Amy, it's so much fun!"

I'm sure it is.

I rationalize that my husband, who is camp director, is having his opportunity to do the Cub Scout thing with the boys. Good father-son bonding and all that.

And Jane doesn't know how much I do during the school year. It's kind of a joke among my friends. One of my closest girlfriends gave me an Anne Taintor shot glass with one of those sassy vintage ladies on it, exclaiming: "Stop me before I volunteer again!"

I don't know how I got to be this busy ¨C it certainly wasn't my intention. I told myself when I became a parent that I would not be one of those moms dashing here and there all the time.

So much for good intentions.

I enjoy being part of my boys' days at school, and I want to help while I can. Especially knowing, from friends with older kids, the time will come when they won't want me around anymore.

And I feel very fortunate to be able to do the things I do. Our family has managed to get by with me only working part time from home for now. We recently downsized to an apartment (after that move I mentioned), we seldom eat out, we gladly accept generous friends' hand-me-down clothing, grow some of our food, trade with market vendors for fresh eggs and produce, make our own bread and jam and roast our own coffee beans.

I have friends who work full time, friends who have more than two children and friends who are way busier than I am. I'm in awe because honestly,Save on hydraulic hose and fittings, I don't know how they do it.This page list rubber hose products with details & specifications.

And I don't know how I've managed to do as much as I've been doing. It certainly isn't good for me.

While I try to learn as much as I can about sustainability as it relates to food and lifestyle choices, and reducing one's carbon footprint, I am struck by the glaring fact that I have neglected the very important need for personal sustainability.

没有评论:

发表评论